Three students hurt when device battery in backpack explodes

Three students were injured Tuesday morning when a small electronic device exploded in a backpack at a high school near Salt Lake City.

Stock Image

TAYLORSVILLE, Utah (AP) — A school official says a battery in a small electronic device ignited in a student’s backpack at a high school near Salt Lake City, leaving two students with minor chemical burns on their arms and one with smoke inhalation.

Granite School District spokesman Ben Horsley tells KSL-TV the three Taylorsville High School students were treated by Unified Fire Authority paramedics after the 9:45 a.m. Tuesday incident. None was hospitalized.

Horsley says the backpack was on the floor of a classroom when it began smoking and the device exploded.

The school spokesman says it was clearly not an intentional act to harm students or a terrorist threat.

Source Article